Prior to the creation of the BSA, 39 million gallons per day (mgd) of raw sewage was being directed to the Buffalo and Niagara rivers. Bacterial pollution was found 17 miles below the City of Buffalo resulting in significant public health and safety problems.
As a result, in 1935 the New York State Legislature created the BSA as an independent public authority that solely owns, manages and is responsible for the waste collection and treatment for the City of Buffalo.
Today, the BSA collection system covers 110 square miles and serves more than 450,000 people in Buffalo and surrounding areas as shown on the service area map. The BSA collection system serves in part or in total the Towns of Alden, Cheektowaga, Elma, Lancaster, Tonawanda, and West Seneca and the Villages of Depew, Lancaster and Sloan, as well as Erie County Sewer District Numbers 1 and 4. The collection system conveys wastewater flows to the Bird Island Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP) for treatment and discharge to the Niagara River.
|BSA History||The Collection System||Bird Island
Wastewater Treatment Plant